Field trips take place between April and September.
Evening field trips take place on a Wednesday.
Day field trips on Saturday or a Sunday.
Evening and day field trips are free for members of WGCG.
Non-members may attend at a cost of £2.00 per visit.
Free for those in full time education.
In the summer we concentrate on field excursions – both evening trips as well as longer day and weekend visits. We also visit towns and villages to explore the uses of different local and imported building stones.
2019 field trips:
When: 9th May 2019 2:00:pm.
Where: Abbey Fields Car Park
What to expect: A guided walk of "The Building Stones of Old Kenilworth" (approx 1½ hours) Thursday 9th May, Meet 2 pm, Abbey Fields Car Park, Bridge Street. Kenilworth CV8 1BQ Led by Ian Fenwick, Parking: 2 hrs free with ticket.
- Kenilworth's stone is 280 million years old.
- How did it get here?
- Where was Warwickshire then?
- Every building has secrets to share and stories to tell.
- Even the gravestones are alive with stories
- ‘Walk 600 million years in 20-minutes at the Brandon Marsh GeoWall’. A geological timeline wall walk. Sunday 5th May 10:30 am to 4:00 pm – Meet at Brandon Marsh, Warwickshire Wildlife Trust Visitor Centre See: Event and location details
- ‘Upton House Reveals its Secret Hidden in the Stones’, A geological tour of Upton House and gardens Tuesday 7th May 11.30 – 16:00 – at various times during the day. See Event info and details
- ‘Rock solid evidence that Jurassic Park came to Banbury’, A guided geological tour of Banbury town centre. Tuesday 7th May Meet at Town Hall for 7 pm No need to book ahead. (approx 1 hour) See: Event and location details
- ‘Gold in them thar hills? Yes! Fool’s Gold!’ Why are the Burton Dassett Hills there? What’s in them? Who dug? When? Why? Are they magnetic? What’s that tower for? Sunday 12th May, Burton Dassett Hills, Meet 10.30 at Car Park near the Tower (approx 1-2 hours) All-day parking £2. Event location and details
Bredon Hill, near Evesham
22nd June (Saturday)Led by Rob & Boo Vernon (geologists, Earth Heritage Trust) and Deborah Overton (archaeologist). We shall be following and testing the new EHT app. We shall have 10 tablets with us but, if you wish to upload on your phone, go to App Stores or Google Play for 'Voyager - Deep Time' by Brooks Designs. In the app there is a list of all the 'Voyages' - Bredon Hilll is one of them.
When: 12th Jul 2019.
Where: Malvern Hills
What to expect:
12th July (Friday)The Malverns with Dr Dick Bryant (Earth Heritage Trust). We shall be following and testing the new EHT app. If you wish to upload on your phone, go to App Stores or Google Play for 'Voyager - Deep Time' by Brooks Designs. In the app there is a list of all the 'Voyages'.
When: 28th Aug 2019.
Where: Ufton Fields
What to expect:
28th August (Wednesday)Ufton Fields (SP378615) - a former quarry in the White Lias, finishing in the village to examine some of the building stones. Meet 6pm at Reserve car park A joint meeting with the Warwickshire Wildlife Trust. Led by Brian Ellis & Faye Irvine.
Previous field trips include:
When: 18th May 2016 7:00:pm.
Where: Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve
What to expect: Field trip to see and examine the Brandon Geology Wall, Brandon Marsh Nature Centre – led by Brian Ellis and Paul Stevenson. Location: Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve Coventry, Warwickshire CV3 3GW
Stratford building stones walk – led by Julie Harrald and WGCG members.Join us for an urban walking tour around Stratford-Upon-Avon looking at the local building materials with a bit of history added. Meet promptly at 6.30pm in the car park accessed by the road called Swans Nest, between Stratford Butterfly Farm and Stratford-Upon-Avon Boat Club (post code CV37 7LS), on the East side of the river. Why not read our WGCG leaflet on Stratford-upon-Avon, its geology and building materials found here.
- The collecting of rock samples and fossils is very popular, and where this is appropriate and allowed.
- We visit towns and villages to investigate the uses of different local and imported building stones as well as investigating the local geology as reflected in collections in museums.
- All attendees must have read the leaflet safety guide for site visits.
Arrangements for the unexpected cancellation of meetings:
An email will be sent to all members, and phone calls to those not online.
The WGCG mobile phone will be answered on the day. For Wednesday evening field trips from 11am. For Saturday or Sunday day field trips from 8.30am.
The number to ring is 0752 7204184